Here are our top 7 tips for staying safe online.
- Don’t give out your full name, address or other personal details unless your parents give you permission to do so.
- Don’t give out your passwords to anyone, including your friends.
- Always check your privacy settings. Make sure they are up-to-date by getting your friends to check how much information they can see on your social media profiles.
- Don’t say things online that you wouldn’t say to someone in person. Be respectful of yourself and others.
- Always tell a parent or trusted adult if you see something online that upsets or worries you.
- Don’t respond if you get a message that makes you uncomfortable. Show an adult the message and save it if possible.
- Don’t arrange to meet someone if you have never met them in real life. People are not always who they say they are online.
Download the Safebook poster, by Fuzion Media, in the Resource section. Share this poster with your friends, in the golf club or at school, and follow the tips.
Download the Kidsmart leaflet about social networking. Show it to the adults in your life and teach them how to be smart about online networking. Then maybe you can use Facebook and Twitter in your golf club, to share your golfing knowledge!